Despite nerves, 4-H'ers qualify for regionals
By DIANE GASPER-O'BRIEN
By DIANE GASPER-O'BRIEN
Just before playing her instrumental solo on her trombone Sunday afternoon, Katie Weisenborn admitted she was a little nervous.
"This is the first time I've done this," Weisenborn said of her musical entry in the annual Ellis County 4-H Day event.
She also was a little apprehensive competing in the senior division for the first time. Having turned 13 in December, Weisenborn was one of the youngest 4-H'ers entered in the senior division because Jan. 1 is the cutoff date.
But Judge Joan Crull came to the rescue.
Following Weisenborn's solo in the music room at Roosevelt Elementary School in Hays, Crull -- an orchestra teacher in Hays USD 489 -- gave Weisenborn some tidbits about playing and told her she shouldn't have been nervous because she played her number well. And then Crull gave Weisenborn a regional blue for her effort.
Weisenborn must have been calmed by Crull's advice. Later in the day, the Hays Middle School seventh-grader also received a regional blue on her demonstration on how to make a snack mix.
Weisenborn now will be a two-time representative for the Gemini Juniors 4-H Club at the Regional 4-H Day set for March 22 at Hays High School.
Three clubs -- Buckeye Junior Farmers, Bits & Spurs and Ellis Sunflowers -- each had more than one regional qualifier, led by Bits & Spurs with five.
Also qualifying in more than one event for regionals in addition to Weisenborn were Katy Walters and her older brother, Anthony, who were members of the regional-qualifying club skit for Buckeye Junior Farmers.
Katy also earned regional blue honors in readings and junior instrumental solo, while Anthony did the same in the senior demonstrations/illustrated talks competition.
Complete results from Sunday's county 4-H Day can be found at www.ellis.ksu.edu.
* * *
The complete list of regional qualifiers from Sunday's Ellis County 4-H Day in Hays, and their club, is:
* Junior-intermediate demonstrations/illustrated talks -- Colton Vajnar, Good Hope; Aubry Appelhans, Bits & Spurs. Alternates: Kirk Huser, Bits & Spurs; Dustin Rajewski, Gemini Juniors.
* Senior demonstrations/illustrated talks -- Anthony Walters, Buckeye Junior Farmers; Katie Weisenborn, Gemini Juniors. Alternates: Kristina Herl, Bits & Spurs; Lisa Quinn, Shooting Sports.
* Public speaking -- Mesa Eckroat, Bits & Spurs; Kristina Herl, Bits & Spurs. Alternates: Conrad Vajnar, Good Hope; Konner Buxton, Bits & Spurs.
* Junior-intermediate project talks -- Anna Kuhn, Ellis Sunflowers; Jaylinn Pfeifer, Bits & Spurs. Alternates: Emma Pope, Bits & Spurs; Jacob Schmeidler, Buckeye Junior Farmers.
* Readings -- Katy Walters, Buckeye Junior Farmers; Ross Eckroat, Bits & Spurs. Alternates: Grace Pope, Bits & Spurs; Melany Huser, Victoria Vikings.
* Senior instrumental solo -- Katie Weisenborn, Gemini Juniors.
* Junior instrumental solo -- Katy Walters, Buckeye Junior Farmers. Alternate: Zoe Buffington, Good Hope.
* Other talent -- Rylee Torline, Ellis Sunflowers.
* Skits -- Buckeye Junior Farmers.