Downtown fire's cause likely combustible rags
At 8:02 a.m. Friday, Hays firefighters were dispatched to a building fire at 112 E. Ninth, which houses Signature Custom Cabinets.
Five trucks, with six on-duty and 14 off-duty firefighters, responded, with support from the Hays Police Department and Ellis County EMS.
On arrival, firefighters found a fire burning inside the building. The fire quickly was brought under control.
The most probable cause of the fire is spontaneous combustion of oily rags placed in a combustible trash container, according to a news release from the city of Hays.