Purchase photos

Transformer mishap forces United Way Kickoff to be rescheduled


A blown transformer about 9 a.m. Friday morning caused a power outage and some smoke in the electrical room and kitchen at the Smoky Hill Country Club. The Hays Fire Department was called out to check the building, said Matt Jacobs, the club pro.

"They believe it was just a couple blown circuits," Jacobs said. "When they get the power on, they'll double-check everything and make sure it's OK."

The mishap caused the cancellation of the Hays Area Chamber of Commerce membership lunch and United Way Kickoff. The kickoff has yet to be rescheduled.

"We were cleared and then another transformer blew about 10:30 or 11 a.m.," Jacobs said. "Now we're just waiting for Midwest Energy to get us up and going again."

The clubhouse is closed, but the golf course is open,

For more information and updates go to smokyhillcc.com.