School administrators get extension
By JUDY SHERARD
By JUDY SHERARD
The three Hays USD 489 central office administrators, Superintendent Will Roth, Deputy Superintendent Richard Cain and Assistant Superintendent of Special Services Mark Hauptman, each will have a two-year contract.
The board of education voted unanimously Monday night to approve the one-year extension for Cain and Hauptman through 2014-15.
No extension was given to Roth, but his two-year contract will continue. The vote came after a 45-minute executive session to evaluate Roth's performance.
The board will take up salary and benefit issues for administrators and other staff later this year.
Commerce Bank submitted the winning bid to finance the cost of artificial turf at the Hays High School baseball field at an interest rate of 1.89 percent.
The amount will be paid in two annual payments of $166,357 each.
The motion passed 5-1, with Greg Schwartz voting against. James Leiker was absent.
Board members unanimously approved a half mill tax levy to purchase textbooks and instructional materials.
In approving the 2013-14 Hays High School course guide, the board eliminated all course fees at the high school except some project fees.
"It doesn't eliminate the $100 textbook fee," just fees assessed for individual courses, Roth said.
In other business, the board:
* Heard a report from facilities needs committee members Ellis County Attorney Tom Drees and Nick Schwien, a Hays Daily News copy editor and Lincoln Elementary School site council member.
"We're just getting started," Drees said. "The task is going to take a lot of information, a lot of learning."
* Agreed to write a letter of support for the bike plan proposed by the city of Hays.
* Accepted resignations from Ashley Schley, Hays High assistant cheerleading sponsor; Valerie Carrillo, bus driver; Adam McElwain, Hays High custodian; and Jessica Dale, Hays Middle School assistant volleyball coach.
* Approved retirement for Tommy Reed, Lincoln custodian.
* Approved provisional employment for Lindzie Rambat and Alayna Pauly, Wilson after-school assistants; Marei Hinzman, O'Loughlin special ed para; Russ Henningsen, transportation director; Mike Leas, Brady Maska and Zach Danner, HMS instructional league basketball coaches; B.J. Hill and Karlie Boyd, HMS instructional league boys' basketball coaches; Jim Maska and Saul Hernandez, Hays High assistant girls' soccer coaches; Brandon Maska, HMS assistant track coach; Sheila Neuburger and Ronald Quint, bus drivers; and Sue Pallister, librarian department chairwoman.