USD 489 looks to make documents more accessible
By JUDY SHERARD
Hays USD 489 rolled out a new system Monday night for the public to access board of education documents.
"We're operating on a new system as far as making our documents available to the public and our working arrangements here with the board," said Superintendent Will Roth.
Those interested can see meeting agendas "as soon as those are sent out to the public," Roth said.
Some accompanying information such as meeting minutes and financial reports as well as board policies also are accessible on the site.
"We hope the public finds it helpful to keep up with what's going on with the board," he said.
The information is available through the Board docs link on the board of education page of the district website, www.hays489.k12.ks.
Following a suggestion from the facilities needs committee, the board discussed energy conservation plans for district buildings.
If the board considers implementing a conservation plan, the committee would focus on more of the bricks and mortar than energy savings, Roth said.
Heating and air issues needed to be addressed at every building, and those programs could take care of that, said Greg Schwartz, board vice president and a member of the facilities needs committee.
Consensus was to review two programs, from Trane and Energy Solutions Professionals, the board had considered previously.
In other business, the board:
* Approved the calendar for the 2013-14 school year. School will start Aug. 15 with a half day. The last day of school, also a half day, will be May 20.
* Accepted resignations from Brandon Maska, Hays High assistant football coach; and Travis Werth, Hays High custodian.
* Approved maternity leave for Chelsey Koehn, O'Loughlin teacher.
* Approved retirement for Donna Cooper, Hays High teacher; and Gera Lou Woofter, Wilson Title I teacher.
* Approved provisional employment for Jim Maska, Saul Hernandez and Alexis Aiman, Hays High assistant girls' soccer coaches; Terry Stephenson, Lincoln custodian; and Stephen Wright, bus driver.