10 Things to Know for Monday
The Associated Press
The Associated Press
Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today:
1. JUDGE MIGHT NOT ALLOW TORTURE TESTIMONY IN GUANTANAMO HEARINGS
The order affects the trial of Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, the self-professed mastermind of the Sept. 11 attacks, as pretrial hearings start Monday at 8 a.m.
2. WHAT IT'S LIKE TO TRAVEL FASTER THAN SOUND
Record-breaking skydiver Felix Baumgartner says it's "hard to describe because you don't feel it" after his 833.9 mph jump from 24 miles above Earth.
3. THE JUMP'S OTHER RECORD: ONLINE
YouTube officials say a record 8 million viewers watched the live stream of the skydive.
4. WHY A 14-YEAR-OLD PAKISTANI ACTIVIST IS GOING TO BRITIAN
Malala Yousufzai was shot and seriously wounded by the Taliban. She's being airlifted to the U.K. to get the specialized medical care she needs to recover, and also to protect her from follow-up attacks threatened by the militants.
5. HOW AMERICANS ARE SPENDING MONEY (OR AREN'T)
The U.S. Commerce Department releases retail sales data for September at 8:30 a.m. -- the latest opportunity to look for clues about the future of the economy.
6. WHERE ENDEAVOR WILL SPEND ITS RETIREMENT
"It's like Christmas!" one staffer exclaimed when the shuttle reached its home at the California Science Museum after a 12-mile crawl through Los Angeles.
7. LAST NOBEL PRIZE TO BE AWARDED
The Economic Sciences winner will be announced after 7 a.m., the sixth and final honor of the year.
8. GOOD NEWS ON THE HPV VACCINE
A study finds the shots that protect against cervical cancer do not make girls promiscuous, as some parents had worried.
9. A STEP TOWARD PEACE IN THE PHILIPPINES
The government and rebels signed a preliminary peace pact that grants minority Muslims broad autonomy in exchange for ending more than 40 years of violence.
10. PANDA MAKES PREHISTORIC DINNER MENU
A scientist has found evidence that China's beloved national symbol was seen quite differently by ancient humans: as food.