Victory Road fix nears completion
By JUDY SHERARD
The Victory Road turnaround near O'Loughlin Elementary School could be ready for traffic in a few weeks.
The concrete was poured last week, Hays USD 489 Superintendent Dean Katt told the board of education Monday night.
The concrete has to cure before it's ready for use.
District officials are researching long-range solutions for repairing the road and how to pay for any work approved by the board.
Bill Jeter, the school district's attorney, is drafting an easement for the property, which belongs to Thomas More Prep-Marian High School.
"We do have a written agreement, which is OK for now," Jeter said.
The district needs "something a little more permanent whenever -- if -- we figure out exactly what we're proposing to do both on a temporary basis and maybe as a permanent solution."
Lance Bickle asked if such an agreement would protect the district "once we put some money in," and Jeter said it would.
Katt also gave the board an update on hiring a new Hays High School football and track coach and physical education teacher to replace Ryan Cornelsen.
Cornelsen accepted a position as head football coach at Hutchinson High School. His resignation is effective June 1.
There have been more than 25 applications for the position. Katt, Hays High Principal Marty Straub, Hays High Athletic Director Clint Albers, Hays High Assistant Principal Tom Albers and Chris Michaelis will interview candidates.
They hope to have a recommendation by the February board meeting, Katt said.
"I think we have some really good candidates," he said.
Board members Marty Patterson and Danielle Lang were absent.
The board also:
* Accepted resignations from Luke Pechanec, maintenance, Rockwell Administration Center; Gabriella Zimmerman, ELL para, Hays Middle School; Logan Staab, technology assistant, Washington Elementary School; and Ryan Cornelsen, head football and track coach and physical education.
* Approved retirement for Mary (Debbie) Breeden, OT/PT therapist; Tony Stegman, custodian, Wilson Elementary School; and Elizabeth Harris, librarian, Hays High.
* Terminated a work agreement with Cheryl Reeves, preschool para, Hays High.
* Approved maternity leave for Janine Griffin, family worker/teacher assistant, Munjor, Early Childhood Connections; and Carla Emerson, teacher, Westside Alternative School.
* Approved employment for Danelle Jennings, special-ed para, HMS; Kaitlyn Dinges, lunchroom supervisor, O'Loughlin; Fred Winter, assistant track coach, HMS; Lauren Torline, special ed para; Wilson; Brina Siddiq, assistant girls' soccer coach, Hays High; Anna Voss, assistant softball coach, Hays High; and Cole Cherryholmes, assistant track coach, Hays High.