Board OKs study
By JUDY SHERARD
By JUDY SHERARD
The Hays USD 489 Board of Education voted 5-0 Monday night to move forward with a facilities study by HTK Architects.
Two board members, president Richard Kraemer and Greg Schwartz, were absent.
Vice President Darren Schumacher presided.
Upgrading and improving facilities was the top goal listed in the board's strategic sessions.
"We would recommend that we do the study so that we have an idea of where we're starting," Superintendent Will Roth said.
Faculty, administrators and community members would be interviewed for the study, he said.
"If we were moving toward new schools, would they recommend that if they felt that was part of this discussion?" first-year board member Marty Patterson asked.
Roth said the study would consider all options, including building new schools within the district.
"This group would also, if you choose to go forward, hold meetings with the community, do community relations," said USD 489 Deputy Superintendent Richard Cain.
The board also voted 5-0 to accept a bid of $63,619 from PLAE, Woodstock, Ga., for materials and installation of 5,456 square feet of rolled rubber flooring in the new Hays High School weight room.
That was the only bid, Cain said.
That amount is 47 percent of the $135,920 supporters asked the district to pay from its capital outlay budget to finish the 7,200-square-foot facility on the southeast corner of Hays High School.
In other business the board:
* Approved a contract with Hays Medical Center for $7,500 for use of the pool by the swim team and some special education classes for the 2012-13 school year.
* Approved the current building use fee schedule on a vote of 4-1, with Schumacher voting against.
* Appointed Marty Patterson as an alternate for the negotiating team, attending the first negotiating session in Schumacher's absence.
* Accepted resignations from Will Ptacek, Felten ELL para; Nakeisha Kinney, Hays High special ed para; Halley Boyd, La Crosse special ed para; Alaina Hughes and Molly Kohl, Wilson special ed paras; Danielle Bogue, Roosevelt assistant cook; Deborah Pfeifer, Hays High ELL teacher; Jennifer Kramer, Luke Deneke and Thomas Rohleder, Roosevelt after-school care workers; and Dustin Engel, Roosevelt technology assistant.
* Approved provisional employment for Cathy Goetz, substitute cook.