Bid for Vine reconstruction on city's plate
By DAWNE LEIKER
With reconstruction of Vine Street from 13th to 22th set for this summer, Hays city commissioners at their Thursday work session will discuss awarding the bid for the project to Pavers Inc. of Salina.
The work session will be at 6:30 p.m. at city hall.
The low bid from Pavers of $1 million is approximately $200,000 less than the engineer's estimate, Assistant City Manager Paul Briseno said at a Tuesday morning press conference.
"If awarded the bid, the company does want to start as soon as possible, potentially in April, and it would take approximately 60 days to complete," Briseno said. "They are anxious to get started with this project."
The project will entail removing 2 inches of asphalt and the old concrete road base, stabilizing the sub-grade, placing new 9-inch concrete pavement and repainting the pavement markings.
City staff will set up barriers on Vine Street, indicating how to access businesses in the construction area.
"We're going to try to make it as easy as possible for patrons to visit those businesses throughout the construction process," Briseno said.
Other agenda items include:
* 2013 Big Creek Technical Center Annual Report from North Central Kansas Technical College.
* Bids for workers' compensation insurance.
* Proposed increase of $100 for 18-hole tournaments and $50 for nine-hole tournaments at Fort Hays Municipal Golf Course. Also, the addition of a junior golf green fee of $14 for those 17 and younger will be considered.
* Vehicle abatement at 700 Vine.
* Requirements for water customers outside city limits.
* Newly seeded lawn permits.
* Exchange visit with Sister City in Xinzheng, China.