Travel 2013: Northwest Kansas communities plan summer events
This is a partial listing of fairs and festivals going on in the area this summer. For more events, visit the calendar of events at www.HDNews.net.
* May 17 to 19, 31st annual Early Rod Run, Atwood. Live music and fireworks Friday; breakfast, show and shine, and hog roast Saturday; breakfast, car show and poker run Sunday. For more information, visit www.atwoodrodrun.com.
* May 25 and 26, Cruise, Shoes and BBQs, Grainfield. Car show, barbecue competition, horseshoe tournament and sand volleyball tournament highlight the weekend. Call (785) 673-4219 for more information.
* May 25 and 26, 59th annual Fort Wallace Rodeo, Wallace.
* May 27, Fidelisfest, St. Fidelis Catholic Church, Victoria. The 18th annual festival includes cemetery visits, Mass, a German wedding-style dinner, auction and country store. Visit www.stfidelischurch.com for more information.
* May 31 and June 1, Gove County Rodeo, Park. The event features sheep and steer riding for children and BBQ on Saturday night. For more information, call (785) 754-2348.
* May 31, June 1 and 2, K-96 June Jaunt, Ness and Rush counties. For more information, visit www.k96junejaunt.com.
* June 1 and 2, Butterfield Trail Ride & Rodeo, Russell Springs. The 47th annual event has horses, covered wagons, horse-drawn carts and walkers along the Butterfield trail. Rides begin at 1 p.m. Saturday and 9 a.m. Sunday. There will be a ranch rodeo at 2 p.m. Sunday. For more information, call (785) 694-3009 or visit www.butterfieldtrailmuseum.org/trailride.html.
* June 2, Selden Antique Tractor and Car Show, Selden. Antique tractors, cars, engines and machinery. Fun and games for all. For more information, call (785) 386-4536.
* June 8, Buffalo Bill Days, Oakley. Other events include city-wide garage sales, Tri-County Cruisers car show (also Friday), and arts and crafts show. For more information, visit www.discoveroakley.com/visitors or call (785) 671-1000.
* June 8, Waldo McBurney Race, Quinter. Sixth annual 5K, 10K and kids' race benefits Castle Rock Wellness Center. For more information, call (785) 754-3403.
* June 9, Ellis Riverfest, north and south Chrysler parks, Ellis. The 2013 theme is "Beauties, Brains and Brawn." The Walter P. Chrysler Home will host a car show, and "small-town fun" will be available throughout the day.
* June 14 and 15, Swing into Summer Fest and Car Show, Stockton. The event will include a car show, scavenger hunt, games, entertainment, barbecue and other special events downtown and in the park. For more information, call (785) 425-6272.
* June 14 and 15, Lenora Jubilee, Lenora. The 2013 festival features Nashville recording artist Greg Bates on Friday night, and DoC and Reggie Shaw on Saturday night. A parade, games for the kids and a barbecue contest also fill the weekend. Visit www.lenorajubilee.com for more information.
* June 14 to 16, Paradise Creek Festival, Plainville. Weekend includes a professional rodeo, kids games, mud volleyball, crafts, entertainment and a parade. Visit www.plainvillerodeo.com.
* June 22, Hoxie Hotrodders Lions Club seventh annual Rod Run, Hoxie. Also includes drag races at the airport.
* July 3 to 6, Wild West Festival, Municipal Park, Hays. Premier festival in western Kansas with a huge fireworks display and nightly concerts. In 2013, concerts include Little River Band, Neal McCoy, Love and Theft, and Dustin Lynch. Visit www.wildwestfestival.com for more information.
* July 4 to 6, Freedom Fest, Russell. Includes Dirty Dynamite Dash, Russell Oil Days, Gloriana concert, parade and more. Visit www.russellks.org for more information.
* July 11 to 13, Downs Celebration, Downs. Celebration includes talent show, fun run, ball tournaments, a parade, alumni reunion, carnival, music and other events. For more information, call (785) 454-6622.
* July 12 and 13, McCracken Rodeo. Twenty-seventh annual KPRA rodeo, women's barrel race, trail ride and Miss Rodeo McCracken.
* July 13 to 20, Ellis County Fair, Hays. www.elliscountyfair.com.
* July 15 to 20, Logan County Free Fair, Oakley. www.discoveroakley.com/visitors.
* July 16 to 20, Rawlins County Fair, Atwood.
* July 17 to 20, Ness County Fair, Ness City. www.nesscountyfair.com.
* July 18 to 22, Smith County Free Fair, Smith Center. (785) 282-6823.
* July 19 to 21, Blues, BBQ and Bargains, Hays. Blues music, BBQ competition and sidewalk sales in downtown Hays and at The Mall. For more information, visit www.chestnutstreetdistrict.com.
* July 19 to 21, Pickin' on the Plains Bluegrass and Folk Festival, Colby. Events include youth vocal contest, gospel sing-along, craft fair and food vendors. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
* July 22 to 25, Gove County Fair, Grainfield.
* July 22 to 27, Wallace County Fair, Sharon Springs.
* July 23 to 30, Ellis Junior Free Fair, Ellis.
* July 22 to 26, Russell County Fair, Russell. www.russellfair.org.
* July 23 to 27, Sheridan County Fair, Hoxie.
* July 24, to 28, Osborne County Fair, Osborne.
* July 29 to 31, Jayhawker Roundup Rodeo, Hill City.
* July 26 to 30, Phillips County Fair, Phillipsburg.
* July 25 to 27, Czech Festival, Wilson. After harvest festival celebrates Wilson's heritage with a Czech queen pageant, parade, carnival and Czech music and dancing. For more information, call (785) 658-2272.
* July 25 to 28, Emancipation and Homecoming Celebration, Nicodemus, 135th annual celebration commemorating freedom acquired through emancipation. For more information, visit www.nicodemuskansas.org/homecoming.
* July 25 to 27, Tri-State Antique Engine and Thresher Show, Bird City. The 60th annual event includes steam engine races, threshing, antique car parade and more. For more information, visit www.threshershow.org.
* July 29 to 31, Graham County Fair and Jayhawker Roundup Rodeo, Hill City.
* July 29 to Aug. 3, Thomas County Fair, Colby. www.thomascountyfair.com.
* July 30 to Aug. 4, Trego County Fair, WaKeeney. www.tregocountyfair.com.
* July 31 to Aug. 3, Cheyenne County Fair, St. Francis.
* July 31 to Aug. 3, Rush County Fair, La Crosse. www.rushcountyfaironline.org.
* Aug. 1 to 3, Kansas' Biggest Rodeo, Phillipsburg. A PRCA rodeo with a long and successful tradition. For more information, visit www.kansasbiggestrodeo.com.
* Aug. 3 to 10, Northwest Kansas District Free Fair, Goodland. www.nwksfair.com
* Aug. 6 to 10, Decatur County Fair and Home-Owned Carnival, Oberlin.
* Aug. 9 and 10, Herzogfest, Victoria. 2013 entertainment includes LoCash Cowboys, Paramount and local polka bands. For more information, visit www.herzogfest.com.
* Aug. 12 to 17, Rooks County Free Fair, Stockton. www.rookscountyfreefair.com.
* Aug. 17, Liebenfest, Liebenthal. Mass at St. Joseph Catholic Church, followed by meal, cake walk, bingo and dance.
* Aug. 24, Alton Jubilee, Alton. Kids' games and entertainment during the day.