Purchase photos

Fire at K's result of spontaneous combustion


The cause of last week's fire at K's Homestyle Diner, 3402 Vine, has been determined.

Hays Police Chief Don Scheibler said the early-morning fire Nov. 5 was the result of spontaneous combustion, the result of cleaning rags piled in the kitchen area. The diner had a video camera operating, and authorities were able to watch the rags heat up and ignite.

The diner opened Oct. 1 at the site of the former Village Inn. Sisters and co-owners Kim Leiker and Kari Geerdes have said they plan to reopen the restaurant, which employed approximately 35 to 40 full- and part-time workers.