Firefighters douse house fire
Hays firefighters responded to a house fire early Monday morning at 1911 Holmes Road.
The Hays Fire Department said the fire, reported at 3:07 a.m., was caused by an electrical short in a meter box and resulted in moderate damage to the home.
Upon arrival, HFD firefighters, accompanied by Hays Police Department officers and responders from Ellis County EMS, found smoke in the residence, but the fire was not readily apparent. Midwest Energy crews responded to shut off power at the utility pole.
Firefighters made an opening in the exterior wall to access the fire and extinguished it.