www.mozilla.com Weather Central
Voices
Headlines

Foo Fighters' pre-sale, designed to foil online ticket brokers, starts Saturday -11/21/2014, 12:49 PM

Area kidney dialysis buildings up for sale, but provider says it is staying -11/21/2014, 11:55 AM

ACLU to amend lawsuit to force Kansas agencies to recognize same-sex marriages -11/21/2014, 11:55 AM

Suspect in Fairmount Park attack has criminal history -11/21/2014, 11:55 AM

FCEDC working to attract multinational prospect -11/21/2014, 11:55 AM

Delta to buy 50 wide-body jets from Airbus, not Boeing -11/21/2014, 11:54 AM

Cher cancels remainder of tour, including Wichita show -11/21/2014, 11:54 AM

myTown Calendar

SPOTLIGHT
[var top_story_head]

Manhattan woman loses job over Facebook post

Published on -9/26/2013, 1:19 PM

Printer-friendly version
E-Mail This Story

MANHATTAN, Kan. (AP) -- A Manhattan woman said she was fired and has received death threats after posting comments on Facebook that criticized the military.

Meagan May commented on the social media site in September that she did not consider the military heroic and said military personnel should stop "demanding a military discount everywhere you go."

"Saying no to violence and solving problems peacefully is heroic," she wrote. "So no, I will not thank those who choose on their own free will to go kill themselves in battle. Get a real life and a real job."

May told WIBW-AM (http://bit.ly/15wWl2G ) that she was fired by Carmike Cinemas in Manhattan after posting the comment. She said she had been promoted to manager a week before she was fired.

Carmike officials posted on May's site that the comments did not reflect the company's beliefs.

"In response to the recent anti-military remarks by a former employee of our organization, we would like to emphatically state that those comments in no way represent the thoughts or sentiments of Carmike Cinema Inc. We hold the utmost respect and admiration for our military and the service they provide in protecting our great freedoms," the company's statement said.

May said she will not back down from her comment.

"I'm gonna let people know that I can post what I want on my Facebook. That's the entire point of Facebook, and if they don't like it, they don't have to look at it. I'm not hurting anybody and I guess what I said may have been rude and that wasn't my intention but I'm not doing anything wrong by posting on my Facebook," she said.

digg delicious facebook stumbleupon google Newsvine