Special to The Hays Daily News
NORTON -- Immanuel Lutheran Church will break ground for its new facility at 1:30 p.m. April 26. The construction site is located a mile west of town on U.S. Highway 36 immediately south of the Prairie Land Electric offices. The public is invited.
In 2004, Immanuel purchased approximately 4.5 acres of land just south of the Prairie Land Electric offices. The congregation subsequently engaged an architect to design the new facility.
The 9,000-square-foot facility will offer a larger space for worship, improved classroom size and functionality, a larger fellowship area, increased parking and full handicap accessibility. The congregation hopes to begin construction later this year.
Immanuel Lutheran formed in 1908 and was originally located at the corner of Roads W7 and J, about 10 miles northwest of Norton. In the late 1940s, the congregation began worshipping in town and dedicated its current facility in 1950. The congregation still maintains a cemetery at the original site.
Immanuel Lutheran Church is a member congregation of the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod.