Extension program highlights saving
Published on -2/26/2013, 10:38 AM
Extension promotes importance of saving
March 2 begins America Saves Week -- an opportunity for organizations to promote good savings behavior and a chance for individuals to assess their saving status.
Kansas State Research and Extension and the Consumer Federation of America offered these suggestions:
* Have an emergency fund to protect against unexpected expenses or job loss.
* Track spending. Knowing how you and your family spend money can help identify areas to reduce spending and increase saving.
* Let go of bad habits and bank your savings. Find one or two spending habits to cut back on and bank the difference.
* Take advantage of free money. Many employees turn down free money from their employer by not signing up for a work-related retirement program.
* Go automatic. Pay yourself first by setting up automatic transfers at your bank from checking to savings account or having a portion of your check directly deposited into your savings. Savers who save automatically are more likely to be successful long-term.
For more information on saving, contact the Ellis County Extension or visit www.kansassaves.org.