Properties nominated to historic list
Published on -2/14/2013, 9:53 AM
Special to The Hays Daily News
TOPEKA -- At its regular quarterly meeting Saturday at the Kansas Historical Society in Topeka, the Historic Sites Board of Review voted to forward 14 nominations to the Office of the Keeper of the National Register of Historic Places in Washington to be evaluated by its professional staff. If staff members concur with the board's findings, the properties will be included in the National Register. In other action, the board voted in favor of expanding the nomination boundaries of a current National Register-listed property and recommended the removal of one property from the National Register.
Two properties were nominated from northwest Kansas.
Oakley High School Stadium, 118 W. Seventh, Oakley.
The construction of Oakley High School Stadium in 1938 was financed through the New Deal-era Works Progress Administration and has hosted football games and track meets since its completion in 1939. Lewis Mershon was the lead builder and used a team of unskilled WPA laborers made up of financially struggling local farmers. The limestone and concrete stadium faces a standard 100-yard football field with natural grass surface encircled by a 400-meter track and includes two locker rooms, restrooms, a tornado shelter and outdoor bleacher seating. It exhibits symmetry, vertical and horizontal lines, and rounded features, all of which gives it a WPA Moderne appearance. The stadium first was used Oct. 6, 1939, for the first home football game of the season between the Oakley Plainsmen and the Colby Eagles. Although the local newspaper reminded readers Oakley had defeated Colby "seven times in the last 11 years," the Plainsmen were "trounced" by the "powerful" Eagles. It is nominated as part of the New Deal-era Resources of Kansas multiple property submission for its local significance in the areas of recreation, government and architecture.
Harry Keith Barn, one-quarter mile east of 200th Avenue on M Road, Penokee.
The Harry Keith Barn is located south of Penokee in Graham County and was built in October 1940 by farmer Harry Keith with the help of his brothers and neighbors. Situated within a landscape of rolling agricultural fields and century-old cottonwood trees along nearby Brush Creek, the barn is built into a hillside and features an iconic gambrel roof. The barn's lower level functioned as a place to house and feed livestock and milk cattle, and the upper level served as hay and grain storage. The surrounding farmstead includes a few remaining outbuildings. Adjacent to the barn is an Aermotor windmill, likely the 702 model, which first was manufactured by the Aermotor Co. of Chicago in 1933, along with a reservoir that holds 4,000 gallons of water. The Keith Barn is nominated to the National Register as part of the agriculture-related resources of Kansas multiple property nomination for its local significance in the areas of agriculture and architecture.
Other nominations include University of Kansas Historic District, Lawrence; Woolf Brothers Clothing Co. building, Wichita; Commodore Apartment Hotel, Wichita; Westside IOOF Lodge, Wichita; John Faris Wayland House, Washington, Kan.; Fourth National Bank building, Wichita; Kibbee Farmstead, Lawrence; Welborn Community Congregational Church, Kansas City; Boot Hill Museum, Dodge City; Dodge City Municipal Building, Dodge City; Santa Fe Trail, Ford County Segment 2 (Fowler's Ruts), Ford County; and Scott Spring on the Oregon-California Trail, Westmoreland. The boundary amendment would include Alcove Springs, Blue Rapids vicinity. The board has requested to remove the Colby Municipal Swimming Pool and Bath House in Colby due to its demolition in 2010.