1 pkg Active dry yeast
13⁄4 C Warm water
2 t Salt
2 T Melted butter or margarine
5C All-purpose flour
• Dissolve the yeast in warm water in a large bowl. Add melted butter. Combine flour, salt and sugar. Add the flour mixture one cup at a time until you have a stiff dough.
• Put out onto a lightly floured board and knead until no longer sticky (about 10 minutes). Let rise in a lightly oiled bowl (turn dough once to coat it with the oil) until doubled, about 11⁄2 hours.
• Turn out unto a lightly floured board and divide in half. Roll out one half to the desired length, then tightly roll to form the loaves. Place seam-side down (with ends pinched under) onto a sheet which has been lightly oiled and sprinkled with cornmeal.
• Slit tops of loaves with a knife about 3 or 4 times. Let rise until double, about 11⁄2 to 2 hours.
• Beat one egg and 1⁄2t salt together and brush the top of loaves. Bake at 375oF for about 30-35 minutes or until breads are brown and sound hollow when tapped.
• Remove from pans and let cool on racks.
Makes: 2 Loaves