Variety of services available for seniors
This listing is current as of June 2013.
Three facilities in Ellis County offer 24-hour skilled nursing care -- two in Hays and one in Ellis. Waiting lists vary with each facility.
* Good Samaritan Society-Hays, 27th and Canal, has 70 Medicaid and Medicare certified beds.
Residents generally apply through hospital discharge planners, or contact can be made by prospective residents or family members. There is a 16-bed Alzheimer's wing that accepts Medicaid or Medicare. For more information, call (785) 625-7331.
* Ellis Good Samaritan Center, 1101 Spruce, Ellis, is Medicare and Medicaid certified. Outpatient speech, physical and occupational therapy is offered to residents and others in the community. For more information, call (785) 726-3101.
* Via Christi Village, 2225 Canterbury, provides a full continuum of senior living environments, care and services. Village Health Care includes 96 licensed nursing home beds in six neighborhoods. Village Assisted Living includes 40 licensed apartments with four floor plans available. The Village also includes eight community living apartments for those 62 years and older. Amenities include a chapel, beauty/barber shop, media room, ice cream parlor and saloon. For more information, visit www.viachristi.org or call (785) 628-3241.
Assisted living typically is geared toward an individual having problems keeping up with the daily chores of life due to physical limitations. Services usually include help with medication, bathing and special diets.
Unlike nursing homes, contact for assisted living usually is made through the resident or the resident's family. Waiting lists vary with each facility.
* Sterling House of Hays, a Brookdale Senior Living residence, is a 33-apartment assisted living facility located at 1801 E. 27th.
Brookdale Senior Living communities feature personalized assisted living services for those who desire social connections, clinical support or need some routine activities of daily living such as bathing, dressing or assistance with medications.
Sterling House also offers respite care and adult day care services. For more information, call (785) 628-1111.
* Meadowlark Place, 1101 Spruce, Ellis, has nine units that are part of Ellis Good Samaritan Center. Included in the monthly fee is housekeeping, laundry, meals, assistance with bathing, transportation to and from medical and dental appointments, and cable television.
No physician order is needed, and contact can be made through families or the prospective residents. For details, call (785) 726-3101.
* Cedar View Assisted Living, 2929 Sternberg, has studio, one-bedroom and two-bedroom units available, some with patios. Amenities include housekeeping, laundry, three meals per day, a private dining room, tornado shelter, activities, personal care services, restorative aid therapy, a courtyard with fountain, Protestant and Catholic church services, and emergency call systems. For more information, call (785) 628-3200.
* Ellis Estates is a 12-unit, private pay independent senior living complex. Each unit is ADA accessible and offers two bedrooms, two bathrooms, laundry and kitchen facilities. Hays senior meal service is available. The apartments are located at 1301 E. 33rd in Hays. For more information, contact manager Vince Newell at (785) 623-0584.
* Garden Terrace Apartments is a 12-unit, private pay, apartment complex offering independent living apartments for seniors at 2710 Canal and is part of Good Samaritan Society-Hays.
Included in the monthly fee are all utilities except phone service; security system; one meal per day, seven days per week; scheduled transportation; structured activities; exercise room; bi-monthly housekeeping; 24-hour emergency response and laundry facilities; $500 damage deposit; no long-term leases. For more information, call (785) 625-2815.
Several apartment complexes in Ellis County cater specifically to senior residences. Rent typically is based on income.
* Wyndam Place Senior Residences, 2734 Hall, (785) 625-5757
* Centennial Towers, 2502 Sherman, (785) 625-6242
* Epworth Towers, 2800 Augusta Lane, (785) 628-6825
* Hays Plaza Apartments, 1005 W. 28th, (785) 628-2660
* Spruce Villa, 1201 Spruce, Ellis, (785) 726-4746
* The Elms, 612 Grant Street Terrace, Victoria, (785) 735-2620
Adult day services
* Good Samaritan Society Adult Day Service at the Hadley Center, 220 E. Eighth, provides socialization, peer support, and health and social services in a stimulating environment. These services also enable primary caregivers to work or pursue other daytime activities and offer a cost-effective alternative to full-time nursing home care. Private pay and Medicaid are accepted. The facility will open Aug. 1. Hours will be approximately 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. For more information, call (785) 621-4726.
Home health and therapy
Home health is for people who choose not to leave their homes for medical assistance, but require daily visits from medical professionals.
Home health visits are ordered through and directed by a physician. Medicare, Medicaid and other insurances have specified qualifying criteria for this type of service.
It is not necessary to be hospitalized to receive these services, but hospital care-coordinating staff of physicians can answer questions about these services.
* Angels Care Home Health, 1506 Vine, offers at-home skilled nursing services, such as medication management, catheter care, wound care and chronic disease management. Physical, occupational and speech therapy are available. Services are covered by Medicare, and some private insurance policies also are accepted. For more information, call (785) 621-4200.
* Good Samaritan Society Home Health of Central Kansas is located at 220 E. Eighth, inside the Hadley Center and serves a five-county area. Available services include skilled nursing; physical, occupational and speech therapy; home health aides and homemakers.
Services are available full-time or part-time, and are covered by Medicaid and Medicare. Those wanting to learn more can call (785) 621-2499.
* Professional Home-Health Services provides part-time and intermittent services.
Services available include, but are not limited to, skilled nursing, physical therapy, occupational therapy, speech therapy and home health aides.
Services are provided by individual referral and doctor approval. Services can be provided within a 100-mile radius of Hays, and service requests are considered on an individual basis. For more information, call (785) 625-0055.
* Outpatient Rehabilitation Services is located in the Center for Health Improvement, 2500 Canterbury, (785) 623-5691. Services include, but are not limited to, physical therapy, occupational therapy, High Plains Sports Medicine, speech therapy and ergonomics.
This allows patients the opportunity to work with clinicians with specific knowledge and skills to best treat their injuries. Services require a physician order and are conducted on an outpatient basis.
* Northwest Kansas Area Agency on Aging, 510-B W. 29th, provides information and in-home services to help people stay in their homes and independent for as long as possible. For more information, call (785) 628-8204 or (800) 432-7422.
* Schoenberger Nursing Agency, 106 W. 10th, Ellis, offers in-home personal care and homemaker services provided by home health aides and CNAs. The agency covers 13 northwest Kansas counties and accepts Medicaid and private pay. For more information, call (785) 726-3568 or (785) 625-8189.
* Hays Psychiatric Associates is located at the Hadley Center, 205 E. Seventh, Ste. 315. No referral is necessary, but the center will take referrals from doctors, medical providers or other mental health centers. For information about fees, call (785) 623-5160.
* KVC Behavioral Healthcare, 205 E. Seventh, (785) 624-6000, (866) 582-2273. The KVC Wheatland Psychiatric Hospital opened its doors in 2010 and accommodates children and adolescents in western Kansas. www.kvc.org.
* High Plains Mental Health Center, 208 E. Seventh, provides comprehensive mental health programs in northwest Kansas. In addition to the home-based services in Hays, the center serves 20 northwest Kansas counties from five branch offices.
Access to service can begin with a telephone call or a visit with staff. Crisis calls are handled immediately 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Requests for non-crisis services will be scheduled as soon as possible.
Sliding scale fee reductions for mandated services are offered to anyone who lives or works within the service area. For information, call (785) 628-2871 or (800) 432-0333.
* Hospice/Palliative Care is a department of Hays Medical Center, 2220 Canterbury. Hospice provides care to terminally ill patients and their families in Ellis, Rooks, Russell and Rush counties. Hospice consists of an interdisciplinary team of professionals and volunteers.
The department also offers free community presentations and bereavement services following the death of a patient.
Call (800) 248-0073 or (785) 623-6200 for more information on Hospice or Palliative Care.
* Lifeline is a department of Hays Medical Center. It is a personal emergency response system that allows individuals to call for help from their homes with the push of a button when needed. Call (800) 990-0731 or (785) 623-6217 for more information, or visit www.haysmed.com/lifeline.
* Catholic Charities Outreach, (785) 625-2644 or (877) 625-2644, is open to all denominations.
It offers a variety of services, including individual, couple, marriage and family therapy; divorce support group; adoption services; pregnancy counseling; and immigration services.
There is an income-based fee using a sliding scale. Catholic Charities Outreach also accepts insurance.
Staff therapists are licensed professionals, and services are confidential. Sessions are scheduled by appointment and can be arranged by calling the office.
* LINK Inc. (Living Independently in Northwest Kansas) at 2401 E. 13th in Hays is a consumer-driven, independent living center for individuals who have any type of disability.
LINK provides services that include information and referral, skills training, peer support, advocacy, deinstitutionalization, home and community-based waiver services for physical and traumatic brain injury waivers, adaptive equipment loan pool, recreational opportunities, and transportation. LINK also is a TAP demonstration site.
LINK also has an independent home care program that provides help for individuals who do not qualify for Medicaid, but still need to obtain in-home attendant care.
LINK has offices in Hays, Great Bend and Liberal. Call (785) 625-6942 or (800) 569-5926 for more information.
* SKIL, an independent living center in Hays, has an office at 510 W. 29th, Ste. A, and is a branch of the Parsons-based Southeast Kansas Independent Living Resource Center.
The Hays office is staffed by Lou Ann Kibbee and four additional staff members.
Office hours are 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Contact (785) 628-8019 or (800) 316-8019 for more information.
SKIL has branch offices in Independence, Chanute, Fredonia, Columbus, Pittsburg, Sedan and Yates Center. SKIL is affiliated with South Central Assistive Technology for Kansans, based in Wichita.
It is a nonprofit that works with people with all types of disabilities and ages in assisting them to live in the community of their choice. Services include home and community-based services, assistive technology, Americans with Disabilities Act support, housing, benefits counseling, communication, job training, mobility assistance and transportation.
The five core independent living services are individual and systems advocacy; information and referral; peer counseling; independent living skills training; and advocating for people with disabilities and those who care about them by planning and supporting a life of dignity, interdependence and personal satisfaction in the community.
* Developmental Services of Northwest Kansas Inc., with administrative offices at 2703 Hall, is a private, nonprofit organization serving children and adults with developmental disabilities. DSNWK offers services to children ages birth to 3 years, youth and adults.
Services are available through a network of community-based and outreach programs and interagency agreements with other service providers in 18 counties of northwest Kansas.
DSNWK serves more than 500 people with mild to severe disabilities with programs such as the College for Living, Employment Connections, Service Coordination and much more.
A variety of supervised and supported living alternatives are available as well as family support for children and youth services. For more information, call (785) 625-5678.
* Infant and Toddler Early Intervention Services is a community service provided by the Hays Area Children's Center, 94 Lewis Drive.
Children younger than 3 years qualify for special services, including free developmental screenings, comprehensive evaluations and community services.
Special services include assistance with the development of speech and language, motor, thinking and social skills as well as hearing and vision screenings. The program collaborates with Early Childhood Connections, the Kansas Department of Social and Rehabilitation Services, Hays Medical Center, Ellis County Health Department, area school districts, High Plains Mental Health and other community partners.
Hays Area Children's Center has been serving young children with disabilities since 1966 and was one of the first programs of its kind available in the state. For details, call (785) 625-3257 or visit www.hacc.info.
* Healthy Start of Ellis County provides education and support to pregnant women and families with infants and children through age 5. The program is designed to give all children a healthy start in life and help parents enjoy being a parent. Healthy Start is provided free to all parents or grandparents caring for children.
The home visitor focuses on maternal health care before, during and after birth. The home visitor can help parents with parent-child relationships, health care, prevention of child injuries and accidents, child development, training for infant massage, and breastfeeding support.
Healthy Start also can provide links to community resources to help families successfully meet the challenges of parenthood. The trained home visitor is a mother who works under the supervision of a registered nurse. Healthy Start of Ellis County is a program of the Hays Area Children's Center.