Hays Area FYI Home

Moving means changing information

A new home means a host of other "new" things in life.

These are a few of the basics.

Driver's license

* Your driver's license needs to be updated within 10 days of an intrastate move or if your name changes. For newcomers moving from out of state, 90 days are allowed for a license change. You can do this at the Driver's License Examination Office, 1222 Canterbury. Office hours are 7 a.m. to 5:45 p.m. Tuesday through Friday. No testing after 4:30 p.m. The phone number is (785) 625-6917.


* Voter registration also must be updated after a name or address change.

To vote, you must be a Kansas resident, 18 or older. You can register at the Ellis County clerk's office in the courthouse, 1204 Fort; at the city clerk's offices in Hays, Ellis and Victoria; Forsyth Library at Fort Hays State University; Hays Public Library; Ellis City Library; Living Independently in Northwest Kansas, 2401 E. 13th; Kansas Department of Health and Environment, 2301 E. 13th; Ellis County Health Department, 601-B Main; Hays Area Children's Center, 94 Lewis Drive; ARC of Central Plains, 116 E. 11th; Kansas Veterans Affairs Commission, 205 E. Seventh, Ste. 110; Hays area office of Social and Rehabilitation Services, 3000 Broadway; Kansas Driver's License Examination Office, 1222 Canterbury; Woodhaven, 1412 E. 29th; Schoenberger Nursing Agency, 106 W. 10th, Ellis; and SKIL of Western Kansas, 510 W. 29th, Ste. A.

Registration closes 14 days prior to any election and reopens the day after the election. Party affiliation is optional. A registered voter can choose to affiliate with a party at the time of registration or at a later date.

If you are party-affiliated when the voter books close, the law does not allow you to change party affiliations until the voter books reopen after election day.

Every voter must show photo ID when voting. A voter requesting a ballot by mail either must write his or her driver's license number on the application or send a copy of a photo ID to get a ballot.

The following documents can be used as identification for purposes of voting in Kansas: driver's license or ID card issued by Kansas or by another state, U.S. passport, student ID card from an accredited post-secondary education institution in Kansas, U.S. military ID, employee badge or identification document issued by a government office, concealed carry of handgun license issued by Kansas or by another state, public assistance identification card issued by a government office.

A voter age 65 or older can use an expired document.

Certain individuals are exempt from the ID requirements: permanent advance voters (voters with illnesses or disabilities), overseas military voters, their spouses and dependents, and voters with religious objections who sign declarations.

Beginning in 2013, first-time voters in the state of Kansas must show proof of U.S. citizenship to register. Among documents acceptable for newly-registered Kansas voters are a birth certificate, a U.S. passport (can be expired) or U.S. hospital record of birth.

For more information, contact the Ellis County clerk's office at (785) 628-9410.

Vehicle registration

* If you moved from another state, you must register your vehicle within 90 days from the time new residency is established. It must be inspected by the Kansas Highway Patrol, 1821 W. Frontier Road. Take the inspection report, title and proof of insurance to the county treasurer, 1204 Fort, for a new tag and title.

If you moved from another Kansas county, you can wait until your current tag expires before registering the vehicle here.


* If you own a cat or dog in Hays or a dog in Victoria or Ellis, it needs to be registered. Go to the city clerk's office, 1507 Main in Hays, 1005 Fourth in Victoria, or 815 Jefferson in Ellis. Fees vary by city.

Child care

* The Hays Area Children's Center provides year-round child care for infants, toddlers and preschoolers. A school-age program is offered during summer months. For details, call (785) 625-3257.


* Hays prohibits loud music, noise from the repair or adjustment of motor vehicles, nonlicensed or nonvehicular engines and electric tools, or loud and continuing activities between 10 p.m. and 7 a.m.


* Ellis County is served by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration weather radio transmitter. A weather radio can be programmed to pick up reports and service weather alerts.