Recreation opportunities run the gamut
Ellis County offers several public recreation opportunities for residents to stay active throughout the year.
* Hays Recreation Center, 1105 Canterbury, offers a variety of recreational, wellness, aquatics, leisure and sports activities for all ages. For more information, or to view a full calendar of events, visit www.haysrec.org.
* Bickle/Schmidt Sports Complex, 1376 Old U.S. Highway 40. It opened for play in fall 2011. The facility features eight softball/baseball fields and eight soccer/football fields, in addition to concession facilities and shaded bleachers. The sports complex will be used to host large tournaments and HRC league games.
* Hays Aquatic Park, Fourth and Main, typically is open from Memorial Day weekend to mid-August. The park features two large water slides, a lazy river, a leisure pool, a lap pool, and a zero-depth entry area with children's activities. Admission cost is $3 for swimmers older than 3. Season passes are available through the Hays Recreation Center, which also offers swimming lessons and water aerobics. Pool hours are from noon to 7 p.m. Monday through Saturday; noon to 8 p.m. Thursdays; and 1 to 6 p.m. Sundays, weather permitting.
* Wilson Playground and Pool, 28th and Fort, typically is open from early June to mid-August. Admission cost is $2 for swimmers older than 3. Pool hours are 1 to 5 p.m. seven days a week. Season pool passes also are accepted.
* Fort Hays Municipal Golf Course, 1450 Golf Course Road, features 18 holes, irrigated fairways, rental carts and equipment, golf club repair, pro-shop and concession facilities. Annual memberships are available. For more information, contact the pro shop at (785) 625-9949.
* Ellis Golf Club, 1301 Spruce, Ellis, is a nine-hole public golf course also featuring a full kitchen and bar. Annual memberships are available. For more information, call (785) 726-4711.
* HRC Fitness Center, 1105 Canterbury, is a 3,600-square-foot facility offering a variety of strength and cardiovascular equipment. Staff is available to provide assistance. Annual memberships are available through the HRC. Hours are from 5 a.m. to 10 p.m. Monday to Thursday, 5 a.m. to 8 p.m. Friday, 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday, and noon to 6 p.m. Sunday.
* Larks Park, Fourth & Oak
* Speier Ballfields, 10th & Vine
* Dusty Glassman Ball Park, South end of Milner Street
* Frank Stramel Softball Fields, Old U.S. Highway 40 & Chetolah Creek
* Pratt/Optimist Soccer Field & Treat Playground, Fifth & Pine
Parks and playgrounds
* Aubel-Bickle Park, 30th & Sherman
* Daniel G. Rupp Memorial Park, 33rd & Skyline
* Ekey Park, 19th & Holmes
* Elizabeth Polly Park, 26th & Indian Trail
* Frontier Parks -- East, North, West, U.S. Highway 183 Alternate & Main Street
* Hickok Park, 26th & Donald
* Kiwanis Park, 17th & Harvest
* Massey Playground, 17th & Allen
* Municipal Park, Fourth & Main
* Rolling Hills Park, 41st & Autumn
* Seven Hills Park, 33rd & Hillcrest
* Sunrise Park, 19th & MacArthur
* Union Pacific Park, 10th & Main
* Whisnant Park, Willow & Skyline