Email This Story

Subject:
Recipient's Email:
Sender's Email:
captcha cb5b27ac959d47aa844b3b571736534b
Enter text seen above:


Fire at K's result of spontaneous combustion

The cause of last week's fire at K's Homestyle Diner, 3402 Vine, has been determined.

Hays Police Chief Don Scheibler said the early-morning fire Nov. 5 was the result of spontaneous combustion, the result of cleaning rags piled in the kitchen area. The diner had a video camera operating, and authorities were able to watch the rags heat up and ignite.

The diner opened Oct. 1 at the site of the former Village Inn. Sisters and co-owners Kim Leiker and Kari Geerdes have said they plan to reopen the restaurant, which employed approximately 35 to 40 full- and part-time workers.