Update 2:15 p.m. with information from Hays Fire Department

Improper disposal of cigarettes is the probable cause of a fire that damaged a home Thursday morning in Colonial Gardens trailer park, according to a press release from the Hays Fire Department.

HFD and Rural County Fire Department Company 5 were dispatched at 9:31 a.m. to the park at 700 E. Sixth. The trailer at lot 137 was engulfed in flames on their arrival.

Firefighters quickly controlled the fire with two hose lines, according to the release from Deputy Fire Chief Ryan Hagans. 

They tore skirting and siding from the north side of the trailer to get at the flames. The fire was reported under control at 10:16 a.m., and crews remained on scene for approximately two hours to make sure the fire didn’t rekindle.

A male resident was able to exit the home but went back inside for an unknown reason, according to a Hays Police Department officer on the scene. The man exited the home again safely, but he was transported by Ellis County EMS to Hays Medical Center to be checked for smoke inhalation, according to the officer.

Six fire trucks and 25 firefighters responded. Ellis County EMS and the Hays Police Department assisted at the scene.

 

------------- 

A trailer home in Hays was damaged by fire Thursday morning.

The Hays Fire Department responded to a call around 9:30 a.m. of a structure fire at the Colonial Gardens trailer park, 700 E. 6th. The fire was contained to a trailer on 5th Street within the park.

Flames were visible and dark smoke rose above the park when emergency crews arrived. Firefighters tore at the skirting and siding on the north end of the home to extinguish the flames.

The fire was brought under control, and after about 20 minutes, firefighters began to air out the property.

A man was in the trailer when the fire started and got out, but re-entered the house, according to a Hays Police Officer on the scene. The man was able to exit the house again and went to Hays Medical Center to be checked for smoke inhalation.

Updates to this story will be posted as information becomes available.