Ellis County fire crews spent approximately eight hours Saturday fighting a brush fire in the far northwest corner of the county.

The fire itself was not large and contained to just a few acres, but the area was dense with brush and rotten trees, which fueled the fire and made it difficult for firefighters to safely extinguish it.

“It was heavily dense with trees that were rotten and still standing,” said Darin Myers, director of Ellis County fire and emergency management. “That delayed our progress, because we didn’t want to put any firefighters in danger. We had a lot of trees falling.”

The call came in at approximately 2:30 p.m. Saturday, and crews began being released at about 10:30. Additional firefighters were on the scene again Monday morning to monitor flare-ups, but the fire was under control.

The county’s public works department also assisted firefighters by bringing tankers with water.

The fire likely was started by a power line, Myers said, but it’s unclear if a line was faulty or if a tree fell into a wire. The Western Co-Op Electric Association was called to shut off power to the affected area.

Dry conditions are becoming a concern throughout the county, Myers noted.