At 3:16 a.m. today, Hays emergency dispatchers were alerted to a fire in the building at 2011 Walnut. The Hays Fire Department, assisted by Ellis County Fire Department Company 5, the Hays Police Department and Ellis County EMS, immediately was dispatched.

On arrival, firefighters found a small fire burning in the attached carport of a single-family dwelling. Firefighters used one line to put out the fire. There were no injuries.

A neighbor discovered the fire, promptly called 911 and alerted the occupants to get out of the house. The carport suffered minor fire damage.

The most probable cause of the fire was the improper disposal of smoking materials.

Five fire trucks and 25 firefighters responded.

The last fire crew left the scene at 4:17 a.m.

Hays firefighters would like to remind everyone it is important to use a metal ash tray when smoking. Do not dispose of smoking materials in planters and flower pots with mulch or other combustible potting materials or in garden mulch beds.