Hays Police Department Chief Don Scheibler is urging residents to be aware of the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning as the season for cold weather hits the area.

The warning comes after two people died after being poisoned by carbon monoxide during the weekend in Hays.

“Gas and portable generators produce dangerous gas,” Scheibler said. “Never use them indoors, and make sure they are at least 20 feet away from doors and windows. And make sure you have a battery operated or battery backup carbon monoxide detector. It’s also a good idea to have your furnaces inspected every year.”

Hays PD was called to the 700 block of East Sixth at 1:22 p.m. Friday for a report of a female not breathing. Officers responding found two people dead in the house.

A gas generator had been set up inside a trailer house and was producing the poisonous gas, resulting in the death of a 40-year-old female and a 37-year-old male.

The switch on the generator was still turned on, but it had run out of fuel and stopped working.

The Ellis County coroner ruled the deaths accidental from carbon monoxide, most likely from the generator.

The Hays PD, county coroner and the Hays Fire Department assisted in the investigation.

It is believed to be the first carbon monoxide poisoning deaths in the city since 2007.