A fire was reported Tuesday afternoon at Via Christi Village, 2225 Canterbury, after an automatic fire alarm sounded.

On arrival, firefighters found significant smoke and a fire burning above the ceiling in a resident’s room in one wing of the assisted-living facility. No injuries were reported, and first responders checked all of the affected residents and staff after the incident, according to a media release from Hays Fire Chief Gary Brown.

“First arriving police officers found Via Christi staff evacuating residents from one wing of the assisted-living facility and reporting smoke in that wing,” Brown stated in the media release.

A preschool housed in the facility also temporarily evacuated as a precaution.

The fire was extinguished quickly with a fire extinguisher. Firefighters then worked to remove smoke from the building.

The report was received at 1:16 p.m. following an alert from an automatic fire alarm.

The most probable cause of the fire was a malfunction in heating, ventilating and air conditioning equipment located in the void space above the ceiling.

The Hays Fire Department was assisted by Hays Police, Ellis County Fire Department and EMS. Off-duty Hays firefighters also were called to assist.

Six fire trucks and 25 firefighters responded. The last fire crew left the scene at 2:41 p.m.

“The members of the City of Hays Fire Department would like to commend the staff of Via Christi Village for their calm, organized and professional response,” Brown said. “All of the residents in the wing where the fire was located were quickly evacuated. All of the building fire protection systems operated as designed to detect the fire, sound the alarm and limit the spread of smoke into other building areas.”