At 2:47 a.m. Wednesday, Hays emergency dispatchers were alerted to a building fire at Burger King, 1212 Vine. The Hays Fire Department, assisted by Ellis County Fire Department Company 5, the Hays Police Department and Ellis County EMS, was immediately dispatched.

A citizen passing by saw flames on the roof of the building, called 911 and alerted the workers inside. The first arriving police officer used a fire extinguisher to hold the fire in-check. Arriving firefighters found a fire in the char-broiler that had extended through the exhaust duct and into roof exhaust equipment. An additional fire extinguisher was used to fully extinguish the fire in the roof equipment and exhaust duct. There were no injuries.

The most probable cause of the fire was the ignition of excessive accumulations of grease in the cooking and ventilation equipment.

Six fire trucks and 28 firefighters responded. The last fire crew left the scene at 3:52 a.m.