A building fire at 202 E. 17th Street on Monday afternoon damaged a home's garage but resulted in no injuries, according to a media release from Hays Fire Department.

A fire was reported shortly before 5 p.m. Monday. Arriving firefighters found a fire in the first-floor garage of a two-story building. Two hose lines were used to control the flames.

The fire likely was caused by improper disposal of smoking materials in garden mulch. The wind caused the fire to quickly spread and enter the building.

The City of Hays Fire Department, assisted by Ellis County Fire Department Company No. 5, the Hays Police Department and Ellis County EMS, was immediately dispatched.

Six fire trucks and 28 firefighters responded. The last fire crew left the scene at 6:15 p.m. Monday.

This was the third wind-driven fire reported Monday in Hays. At 9:43 a.m., firefighters were dispatched to a fire at 1914 Whittier Road. Arriving firefighters found a fire involving garden mulch that spread to a child’s ride-on plastic battery powered car, threatening the building.

At 1:27 p.m., firefighters responded to the 300 block of Mopar Drive for a grass fire. The most probable cause of these fires was the improper disposal of smoking materials.

Hays firefighters are urging the public to carefully dispose of smoking materials, especially on windy days. The smallest spark can be fanned into a large, fast-moving fire in just minutes.