The Hays Police Department would like to remind everyone that Fireworks can only be purchased in Hays on today through Wednesday. Fireworks can only be shot off on those same days from from 10 a.m. to 11 p.m. in the City limits of Hays. It can cost $150 ($50 fine and a $100 court cost) for shooting off fireworks illegally.
The HPD also reminds participants to respect their neighbors by only shooting off fireworks during the allowed days and times. Do not shoot off fireworks in the city streets, and clean up after you are done.
When shooting off Fireworks please remember these safety tips:
• Obey all local laws regarding the use of fireworks.
• Know your fireworks; read the cautionary labels and performance descriptions before igniting.
• A responsible adult SHOULD supervise all firework activities.
• Alcohol and fireworks do not mix. Save your alcohol for after the show.
• Light one firework at a time and then quickly move away.
• Use fireworks OUTDOORS in a clear area; away from buildings and vehicles.
• Never relight a “dud” firework. Wait 20 minutes and then soak it in a bucket of water.
• Always have a bucket of water and charged water hose nearby.
• Never carry fireworks in your POCKET or shoot them into METAL or GLASS containers.
• Do not experiment with homemade fireworks.
• Dispose of spent fireworks by wetting them down and place in a metal trash can away from any building or combustible materials until the next day.
And let’s not forget the safety of pets.
• Don’t bring your pets to a fireworks display, even a small one.
• If fireworks are being used near your home, put your pet in a safe, interior room to avoid exposure to the sound.
• Make sure your pet has an identification tag, in case it runs off during a fireworks display.
• Never shoot fireworks of any kind (consumer fireworks, sparklers, fountains, etc.) near pets.