TOPEKA —Fireworks reignited early Thursday morning in a trash bin up against a house north of Lake Sherwood, sparking a raging blaze that destroyed that building, authorities said.

No one was hurt in the fire at 3017 S.W. Gisbourne Lane, said Tony Celeste, an investigator with the Kansas State Fire Marshal’s Office.

Both residents escaped after smoke detectors awakened them, he said.

Firefighters entered the burning building and rescued a dog and cat, Celeste added.

The house was located in Mission Township, just south of Topeka city limits.

Firefighters from the Mission and Topeka fire departments were sent there after the blaze was reported at 2:38 a.m., said a dispatcher for the Shawnee County Emergency Communications Center.

Shawnee County appraisal records show the property has been owned since 1994 by Robert and Renea Dennison, and has an appraised value of $125,470.

The cause of the fire was ruled accidental, Celeste said.

He said the fireworks had been put in the trash bin after they were shot off Wednesday evening, which was July 4.

The trash bin had been standing close to the house and in front of it, in the area of its garage, Celeste said.

The circumstances of the fire illustrate the importance of dousing all used fireworks with water before throwing them away, he said.

The blaze also damaged two vehicles, one of which appeared to have been destroyed, Celeste said.

A dollar estimate of damages wasn’t immediately available.

This story is developing and the article will be updated as further details become available.