A man arrested in a December armed robbery at a Hays hotel was found guilty on two of the original four charges against him Monday in Ellis County District Court.

Pascual Rueda Guzman entered no contest pleas to a felony charge of attempted aggravated battery — amended from the original felony charge of aggravated battery — and a felony charge of aggravated intimidation of a witness.

Felony charges of aggravated robbery and criminal possession of a firearm by a convicted felon were dismissed in the plea agreement.

Sentencing is tentatively scheduled for 3 p.m. Sept. 10.

The plea agreement recommends 32 months in prison for the aggravated battery charge and a concurrent sentence of 18 months for the intimidation charge. A special rule will apply to sentencing, as Guzman was on felony post-release supervision for a prior conviction at the time of the robbery.

Guzman and Dean Joseph Manning were arrested Dec. 9 after police were called to the Hays Medical Center emergency room around 12:30 a.m., where a 20-year-old man was treated for a gunshot wound to the face.

The man reported he was at a hotel in the 3400 block of Vine when he opened the door to a knock, and Manning and Guzman forced their way in. One held what appeared to be a semi-automatic pistol to his face. It was later determined to be a Co2 powered gun.

The men demanded cash and a .45 caliber semi-automatic handgun they said the man had stolen from Guzman. Guzman threatened retaliation if the man reported the robbery.

During the robbery, the victim was shot by the air pistol, resulting in an entry and exit wound to his cheek that required seven staples and resulted in permanent scarring, according to court documents.

Manning and Guzman were arrested later that morning in Manning’s apartment in the 1300 block of East 33rd. A search warrant resulted in recovery of the victim’s wallet, cash, the .45 caliber handgun and the air pistol.

Manning was sentenced in March to 32 months in prison after pleading to charges of robbery and aggravated robbery.

Guzman had served more than four months in prison in 2017 for a conviction of unlawful voluntary sexual relations with a 15-year-old and was serving a 12-month post-release supervision at the time of the hotel robbery.