Memorial Day events planned for northwest Kansas
By The Hays Daily News
Several area Memorial Day services are planned for Monday. They include:
* Ellis: Veterans of Foreign Wars will host memorial services at Ellis cemeteries. Beginning at 7 a.m. Monday, flags will be raised in the Avenue of Flags at St. Mary and Mount Hope cemeteries.
Services will begin at 9 a.m. at St. John Cemetery and proceed to St. Mary Cemetery, the Big Creek bridge, Memorial Park and to Mount Hope. Events are expected to conclude by noon.
* Stockton: Memorial services will begin at 9:30 a.m. at the Catholic cemetery. Services will continue at 10 a.m. at Stockton Cemetery and 10:45 a.m. in Mount Vernon Cemetery. A noon potluck dinner at the Stockton VFW post will follow services.
* WaKeeney: Services will begin at 9 a.m. at WaKeeney City Cemetery, with Rev. John Anderson. Father Charles Steier will have a service at 9:30 a.m. at Christ the King Cemetery. Retired Col. Michael Neer, chairman of the Kansas Commission on Veterans' Affairs, will speak at 10 a.m. at Kansas Veterans Cemetery. The program will include bagpipe selections.
The Rev. Stan Faulkender will present a message at 11 a.m. at Ogallah Cemetery. Special music will be provided by the Bernard Giefer family.
* Victoria: Mass at St. Fidelis Catholic Church will be at 9 a.m. Graveside memorials will begin at 9:45 a.m. at Victoria; 10:15 a.m. at Emmeram; 10:45 a.m. at Walker; 11:15 a.m. at Vincent; 11:45 a.m. at Pfeifer.
* Natoma: Services will begin at 9:30 a.m. at Natoma Catholic Cemetery; 10 a.m. at North Immanuel Lutheran Cemetery; 10:30 a.m. at Paradise Cemetery; 11 a.m. at Natoma Cemetery. Services will include a prayer and message by Pastor Michael Schmidt.
American Legion Auxiliary will prepare and serve a community-wide lunch of beef and noodles at noon at the American Legion Hall, Natoma.
* Russell: Services will begin at 9 a.m. at Gorham Catholic Cemetery; 10 a.m. at Russell City Cemetery; 11 a.m. at Bunker Hill Cemetery. Following the ceremonies, the VFW and American Legion posts will host open houses.
* Hays: American Legion services will begin at 10 a.m. in the legion's ballroom, 1305 Canterbury. Guest speaker will be retired Army Ranger and Ellis Police Chief Taft Yates.
Social hour will follow the services, with a meal served at noon.