Purchase photos

Family escapes Plainville house fire

3/3/2014

By The Hays Daily News

By The Hays Daily News

PLAINVILLE -- A family of five escaped injury in a Sunday night fire that destroyed their home.

The fire call came in at 9:55 p.m. for a structure fire in the 200 block of south Washington, said Craig Wise, Plainville fire chief.

When the firemen arrived, the building was "fully engulfed in flames," he said.

The fire is believed to have been started on an enclosed porch, Wise said.

A total of 23 members of the Plainville Fire Department and five from the Stockton Fire Department responded.

Firefighters were on the scene until 3 a.m. Bitter cold temperatures made conditions even more difficult.

Wise said neighbors provided coffee and hot chocolate for the firefighters and others.

The Plainville EMS and Plainville Rescue Squad also responded.

"It was a community effort. I'm just glad the family and firemen made it out safely."