Tips for preparing your house to sell
These are tips that won't cost a lot but can make a big difference on the appearance of your home. It is amazing how just a little attention to the details will add that special appeal that the buyer is looking for!
Clean up the outside.
- Keep the grass cut and the area around the house tidy. This will help make a great first impression.
- Paint or wash the exterior of the house (including window casings, shutters, and doors).
- Wash the windows inside and out.
- Check the gutters and chimney.
Touch up the interior.
- Put a fresh coat of paint in the most used areas of the home. This will clean as well as brighten up the rooms.
- Wash the walls where paint is not appropriate (i.e. wall paper, paneling).
- Wash all floors and bathroom tiles.
- Shampoo dirty carpets.
- Get rid of clutter. Clean out your closets, garage, basement and attic. Use self storage if necessary.
- Replacing air filters will help keep the dust down.
- Replace bathroom and kitchen fixtures that are worn or leaking. People will notice a leaking or worn-out faucet. By replacing these items, you will give a new look to the room.
- Clean under the sinks. If there is any leaks fix them. Then clean up the damage using contact paper or paint.
- Get rid of any bad smells in your home.
- Pay attention to pet or cigarette odors.
- Place scented potpourri around the house.
- On the day you're expecting a potential buyer, pop a batch of frozen cinnamon rolls or home-made bread into the oven for a great aroma.