Encore season tickets available for 2013-14
Published on -8/13/2013, 11:30 AM
Special to the HDN
A Christmas performance from Ireland, the most popular English opera of all time and a completely new story from America's favorite TV family headline the 2013-2014 season of the Encore Performing Arts Series at Fort Hays State University.
"This season is a truly special one," said Vince Bowhay, chair of the Special Events Committee. "Patrons should expect to be challenged and inspired by the artists performing on the Beach/Schmidt Auditorium stage. Also, patrons should expect to purchase tickets early, as several shows will sell out this year."
Bowhay promises patrons a diverse and international season that will appeal to both the regular season ticket holder and the first-time patron alike. The season will open with the 250th Encore performance -- The Broadway Boys, a collection of six of the most striking leading male voices currently singing on Broadway. Additional shows include The Addams Family, Memphis and a special off-season event, The Vienna Boys Choir.
This year also marks the debut of the Keith Sebelius Lecture Series. Named for the late FHSU graduate and First District congressman, the Sebelius Lecture Series will feature a debate between former presidential candidates Rick Santorum and Howard Dean, in addition to a lecture from former White House Deputy Chief of Staff Karl Rove.
Season tickets for the 2013-2014 Encore Performing Arts Series and the Sebelius Lecture Series are now on sale. Fort Hays State University students, senior citizens and youth all receive discounts. For more information, call the Student Service Center at 785-628-5306 or contact www.fhsu.edu/encore.
All performances for the 2013-2014 season start at 7:30 p.m. and are held in the Beach/Schmidt Performing Arts Center in Sheridan Hall on the FHSU campus. Performances include:
* The Broadway Boys, Tuesday, Oct. 15 -- A collection of the hottest male voices currently working on the New York stage, performing a review of familiar songs from some of Broadway's biggest hits.
* Aquila Theatre presents Ray Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451, Tuesday, Oct. 29 -- A dystopian tale of a bleak future where literature and knowledge are on the edge of extinction, based on one of the most celebrated books of all time.
* The Vienna Boys Choir, off-season event on Tuesday, Nov. 12 -- The most acclaimed boys choir in history share an enchanting evening delighting music lovers from all walks of life.
* Danu presents Christmas in Ireland: An Nollaig in Eirinn, Tuesday, Dec. 10 -- The acclaimed Irish ensemble brings a glorious celebration of Christmas from their homeland to Hays.
* The Addams Family, Sunday, Feb. 16 -- Featuring an original story, a new musical comedy that follows the family as they discover that the ultimate princess of darkness, Wednesday Addams, has grown up and fallen in love with a sweet, young, respectable man.
* Jaimee Paul in At Last, Tuesday, Feb. 25 -- A tribute to the greatest female vocalists of all time -- Ella Fitzgerald, Billie Holiday, Rosemary Clooney and more.
* H.M.S. Pinafore, Tuesday, March 25 -- Ride a wave of music and laughter as romantic sailors and ladies dance their way across the deck of the fanciful British ship with the improbable name.
* Step Afrika!, Saturday, April 12 -- Like a tap without shoes, or a band without instruments, stepping is percussive dance that uses kicks, stomps, claps and chants, all linked to African and modern dance traditions. As the first professional company devoted to stepping, the world-renowned Step Afrika! brings a high-energy performance to the stage that is a feast for both the eyes and ears.
* Memphis, Wednesday, April 23 -- A musical that bursts off the stage with explosive dancing, irresistible songs and a thrilling tale of fame and forbidden love. Inspired by actual events, Memphis is about a radio DJ who wants to change the world and a club singer who is ready for her big break.