TMP duo headed to state -- three qualify from Ellis
By The Hays Daily News
WaKEENEY -- The Norton Community High School wrestling team captured the Class 3-2-1A regional championship, and had five individual regional champs. Norton scored 230.5 points, while Phillipsburg was second with 178 points. Oberlin finished third with 120.5.
The top four in each weight class advance to the 3-2-1A state tournament this week at Gross Memorial Coliseum. Three wrestlers from Ellis qualified for state, while two from Thomas More Prep-Marian will represent the Monarchs.
Following are the top four finishers in each weight class who punched their ticket to state.
* At 106 pounds, Norton sophomore Skylar Johnson took top honors with a 9-1 decision against Hoxie sophomore Bryce Bacon. Stockton freshman Brayden Winters took third with a pin against Sublette junior Junior Torres.
* Norton also won at 113 pounds with senior Branson Addington winning via technical fall 18-2 against Greeley County sophomore Isaac Stone. Stone is coached by former Norton wrestler Nathan Broeckelman. TMP freshman Tucker Rhoades took third place with a pin against Smith Center freshman Dalton Oliver.
* Hoxie freshman Tristan Porsch remained undefeated by taking first at 120 pounds. He won 10-5 against Ellis freshman Dalton Hensley, who lost for just the seventh time. Smith Center freshman David Hileman finished third with a technical fall 17-1 against Monarch sophomore Ricky Hockett.
* Rawlins County junior Macrae Migchelbrink won 8-5 in the title match at 126 pounds against Phillipsburg senior Riley Juenemann. Smith Center sophomore Cale Rogers pinned Hill City freshman Gabel Hamel for third.
* At 132 pounds, St. Francis sophomore Clay Cassaw won 10-1 against Norton senior Toby Nickell, while Phillipsburg senior Mason Bannister pinned Oberlin junior Gabe Anderson for third.
* Norton won its third regional individual title with senior Alec Hager winning 5-4 at 138 pounds against Rawlins County junior Rhett Mizer. Oakley junior Taylor Murphy defeated Plainville senior Adam Gehring for third.
* Phillipsburg's first individual title came at 145 pounds from senior Michael Dusin at, who won 3-2 against Oberlin senior Dayton Dreher. Dreher lost for just the third time. Norton junior Jared Tallent, after a semifinal loss to Dusin, defeated Trego senior Brandon Schoenthaler via pin in the third-place match.
* Sophomore Mike Kasson captured Norton's fourth title with a 4-1 decision against Smith Center senior Clint Rogers at 152 pounds. Oberlin senior Chris Anderson was third with a 7-2 decision against Plainville senior Trevor Desaire.
* At 160, junior Kendall Miller claimed the fifth title for Norton with a pin against Phillipsburg senior Hunter Kohler. Ellis junior Jared Pfeifer won 6-5 against Oberlin freshman Tabor Erickson for third.
* Plainville senior Dylan Wiesner rolled to a 15-0 technical fall against Norton senior Cole Renner for first place at 170 pounds. Oberlin senior Grant Gillam won 4-0 for third against Hill City freshman Dajuen Chapman.
* At 182 pounds, Oberlin junior Rex Diederich ended up second place to Wichita County senior Brice Mason, suffering a pin in 1:27. Phillipsburg senior Andrew Makings defeated Lakin senior Jared Burrows, 3-2, for third.
* Phillipsburg senior Seth Boswell ended up second at 195 pounds as he dropped a 2-0 decision to Cimarron junior A.J. Cooper. Norton claimed third place in the class with a pin by senior Kolton Harting against Wichita County senior Colton Northrup.
* Phillipsburg junior Luke Jacobs captured the crown at 220 pounds with a 6-3 win against Norton freshman Jacob Green. Oakley junior Dylan Gassmann defeated Ellis senior Skyler Tebo for third.
* Oakley senior Mason Rains was second at 285 pounds. He was pinned by Montezuma-South Gray senior Zach Crick. Phillipsburg sophomore Donovan Lumpkin pinned St. Francis junior Shakotah Blanka for third.