Plymouth Schoolhouse open for tours
Special to the HDN
The Plymouth Schoolhouse, a one-room schoolhouse built in 1874, still educates Kansas students. The relocated building, across the street from Tomanek Hall on the Fort Hays State University campus, is open for public tours.
The project, launched in 1975, is an effort by the FHSU chapter of Phi Delta Kappa, with financial support from the Garvey Foundation, Wichita. The idea was influenced by the U.S. Bicentennial and FSHU's 75th Diamond Jubilee Anniversary. The 927-square-foot building was moved brick-by-brick and reconstructed as close as possible to its original form, finishing in 1979.
The tour includes a multimedia show to educate guests on the importance of the building and the daily life in a one-room schoolhouse, as well as explaining the restoration of the building. Reserved tours are available from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. weekdays. The building also is open from 9 a.m. to noon Tuesdays and Thursdays for walk-in visits.
For more information or to schedule an appointment, contact curator Nikolaus Boyle at (785) 628-5449 or firstname.lastname@example.org.