Welcome to 2013
I've been recuperating from some surgery, and have had way too much time on my hands. For some reason, I feel compelled to share my humble thoughts going into the New Year:
* I'd like to know how they can have an entire series on "Walking Dead" people. I'll also go to the library to research if you shoot a dead person, are you really killing them, again?
* To heck with winning the lottery, I'm going to find out where Hays USD 489's money tree is located.
* I'm going to question why shows like "Dance Moms" are allowed to be viewed publicly, but we can't have Christmas holidays or Christmas trees anymore. "Dance Moms" is a TV series where mothers of young ladies actually try to win the "witch" (with a capital "B") award. No wonder we have people acting the way they do.
* Is TruTV and RealTV really true and real? I know soap operas aren't really true events, but what about reality shows? These shows are only on the air because somebody is watching them. What is this saying about our society?
* Before my surgery, I received a "Consent for Surgery" form from an out-of-town clinic with three words spelled incorrectly. Has texting simply given us an excuse not to properly communicate the English language?
* I received 13 computer-generated "Happy New Year" greetings, and vowed to go out and see more people face to face.
* As for Jerry Springer ... nah, let's not waste the ink. (Have you no pride?)
* As for accountability in state and federal government ... not enough space in the entire newspaper let alone this letter. (Again, have you no pride?)
* As someone in the financial industry, I'm going to figure out how I can help my clients spend twice as much as they make just like the leaders of our government continue to do. I just don't believe the only solution to someone's finances is jumping off the proverbial "fiscal cliff." For starters, perhaps we could stop worrying about life on Mars, and start concerning ourselves with life on Earth. There's $2.5 billion right there.
* I'd like to know why video games need to be so graphic. Does the splashing blood on the screen make it easier to go out and mow down innocent people?
* Finally, I'm going to spend more time with people who lost loved ones in 2012, and there were lots of them. We could all benefit from showing more compassion and friendship to those around us.
Here's to 2013! Clink! Please God, help us make it a good year.