Gas leak prompts evacuation
By DAWNE LEIKER
ST. FRANCIS -- A gas leak at Cheyenne County Hospital, St. Francis, prompted evacuation of its patients Tuesday. No injuries were reported.
Gas entered the hospital through the ventilation system after a gas leak occurred on the north side of the building, according to hospital public information officer, Shawna Blanka.
The leak was reported at 11:52 a.m. after a semi punctured a gas line to a home on the north side of the hospital.
Because it was an active gas flow leak, all patients were evacuated to St. Francis Community High School.
Midwest Energy workers clamped the gas line, then fire officials and gas company officials surveyed the hospital and surrounding homes and cleared the gas leak.
At 12:30 p.m., patients and guests were allowed to return to the hospital. Gas service was restored to the surrounding area of the hospital at 2:30 p.m.