Identity theft warning signs

You might be a victim of identity theft if you receive a notice from the IRS or a tax professional that:

* More than one tax return for you was filed.

* You have a balance due, refund offset or collection actions against you for a year you did not file a tax return.

* IRS records indicate you received more wages than you actually earned.

* Your state or federal benefits were reduced because the agency received information reporting an income change.

If you suspect your identity has been stolen, contact the IRS identity protection specialized unit at (800) 908-4490.

Information from