Regional briefs (April 29, 2012)

Warnings issued for stolen meat

TOPEKA -- The Kansas Department of Agriculture is asking consumers in western Kansas to be cautious after meat was stolen from a state-inspected meat processor in Ness City.

Approximately $3,000 worth of frozen, fresh and ready-to-eat meat and poultry was stolen Wednesday night from South Fork Meat Processing Inc. Plant Owner Javier Chacon said the products stolen included approximately 50 to 55 pounds of beef; 200 pounds of ground beef; 100 pounds of pork products including sausage, ham, and chops; 100 pounds of jerky and pepper sticks; and 20 pounds of chicken.

The Kansas Department of Agriculture is concerned about the safety of these products if they have not been stored at the appropriate temperatures.

Do not purchase or consume meat you suspect might have been stolen. Contact Ness County Law Enforcement at (785) 798-3611 with any information related to the break-in or the stolen items.

Child injured in I-70 accident

PARK -- An 8-month-old child sustained possible injuries in a one-vehicle accident just west of here Friday evening, according to information from the Kansas Highway Patrol.

The accident occurred 1.5 miles west of Park on Interstate 70. Idalia Chavez, 16, was eastbound when the vehicle she was driving crossed the median and entered westbound lanes, overturning into the north ditch. The vehicle came to rest on its wheels in the ditch facing south.

Chavez and Alan Gutierrez, both of Scott City, were transported to Gove County Hospital in Quinter. Gutierrez received minor cuts and scratches, according to the report. Chavez was wearing a seat belt.

Judge rejects doctor's plea to toss sentence

WICHITA (AP) -- A federal judge rejected claims from a former Kansas doctor who claims his lawyer pressured him into pleading guilty to unlawfully prescribing painkillers to a woman he never met.

U.S. District Judge Monti Belot on Friday rebuffed a move by Lawrence Simons of Goddard to toss out the conviction that sent him to federal prison for two years. Simons was challenging a restriction that prohibits him from practicing medicine during the three years of his supervised release.

In a scathing 33-page decision, Belot said it is readily apparent Simons either lied to the court during his plea and sentencing hearings, or in his own submissions and testimony at an evidentiary hearing in February.