Western Plains home damaged by fire
By The Hays Daily News
The Hays Fire Department responded to a structure fire at the 1300 block of Western Plains Drive that was reported at approximately noon Tuesday.
Fire Chief Gary Brown said the call was placed by the resident's son, who was checking on the house.
No one was home at the time of the fire.
Brown said there was significant fire damage in the house. The fire began in the kitchen, but due to modern insulation and lack of oxygen, the fire extinguished itself.
He added there was smoke and heat damage throughout the house.
Brown said the state fire investigator will be called in to determine the origin of the fire.
He also reminded residents to check on smoke alarms to ensure they are working and have fresh batteries.