Vietnam veterans to propose helicopter display at airport
By DAWNE LEIKER
Thursday night's city commission work session, set for 6:30 p.m. at city hall, will have a full slate of agenda items.
During the meeting, local Vietnam veterans will request an area of Hays Regional Airport for creation of a permanent Vietnam-era helicopter display.
Representatives of the Vietnam veterans group will be on hand to discuss the display, which has been reviewed by the Airport Advisory Board.
If approved, annual expected costs incurred by the city will be $428 with a one-time expense for necessary parking and landscaping.
"The annual maintenance of the structure will be by the state," said Assistant City Manager Paul Briseno at a Tuesday morning press briefing.
"However, the grounds and area needed to build it up for the display will be taken care of by the city of Hays."
Other agenda items include:
* Presentation by Downtown Hays Development Corp. of a downtown pavilion concept and strategic plan.
* Ordinance authorizing the issuance of health care facility revenue bonds for St. John's Inc.
* Resolution approving tax and securities compliance procedures.
* Concrete crushing program.
* Request for rezoning of lots at 22nd and Wheatland.
* 2012 uniform public offense code and 2012 standard traffic ordinance.