www.mozilla.com Weather Central

Flamingo up in flames -10/18/2014, 6:58 PM

TV psychic coming to Salina -10/18/2014, 5:55 PM

Libertarian shares different philosophy -10/18/2014, 5:55 PM

Hoteliers placing big bets on Garden City -10/18/2014, 5:55 PM

Former city IT director charged with sex crimes against children -10/18/2014, 5:55 PM

Federal, state officials celebrate Hugoton ethanol plant -10/18/2014, 5:55 PM

Area optometrists attend eyecare conference -10/18/2014, 5:55 PM

Asked to say something nice, Greg Orman and Pat Roberts respond in Wichita debate -10/17/2014, 10:51 AM

Wichita opera company branching out this season -10/17/2014, 10:51 AM

Salina Tech wants to start professional trucking institute -10/17/2014, 10:51 AM

Fundraising appeal helps KWU meet fundraising goal -10/17/2014, 10:51 AM

Education topic of House candidates' debate -10/17/2014, 10:51 AM

Charges dropped against Pump Mart owners, may be refiled -10/17/2014, 10:51 AM

myTown Calendar

[var top_story_head]

Missing Kan. university student found in Germany

Published on -11/9/2012, 8:32 AM

Printer-friendly version
E-Mail This Story

EMPORIA, Kan. (AP) -- A missing Kansas college student called home Thursday nearly three weeks after traveling to Germany without telling her friends or family and setting off an international search that involved law enforcement and social media.

Emilee Irsik, a 20-year-old junior at Emporia State University, was with German authorities when she spoke to her family.

Her mother, Sherry Irsik, of La Grange, N.C., told The Associated Press she is "thrilled beyond measure" and looking forward to being reunited with her daughter.

She said her daughter was "OK" but stressed she had "zero information" about what happened because the two didn't speak long.

Emilee Irsik had been studying German at Emporia State and was interested in studying abroad. She left Oct. 19 during the school's fall break and landed the next day in Hamburg.

The trip wasn't school sanctioned, and her roommates notified the school when Irsik didn't show up for classes Oct. 22, the Monday after the four-day weekend ended. University police worked with airport and airline officials to determine her travel arrangements, including that she had booked a return trip Oct. 26. But Irsik didn't get on the flight, and her family couldn't contact her on her cellphone.

Her mother, who only spoke to the AP briefly, told The Wichita Eagle previously that her daughter had applied to three German universities and talked about taking a trip to "get the lay of the land."

Her parents talked her out of it, saying she didn't have time before fall classes began and should use that money for her education.

"Obviously, she decided it was really important to her to do this," Sherry Irsik told the newspaper.

digg delicious facebook stumbleupon google Newsvine
More News and Photos

Associated Press Videos

AP Breaking News
AP Nation-World News

View this site in another language.