The Hays Fire Department was dispatched at 12:28 p.m. Saturday to a car on fire threatening a house at 314 East 16th Street.
After arriving, firefighters found the engine compartment of a Subaru Outback engulfed in flames.
The vehicle was parked in a driveway only a few feet from the owner’s house.
Firefighters used a fire extinguisher to hold the flames in check while a hose line was laid, according to Fire Chief Gary A. Brown.
The vehicle and house are owned by Hays residents Ellen and Richard Call.
“We went to Dairy Queen, washed the car and then came home,” Ellen Call said. “We were inside and the neighbor came over and was pounding on the door saying the car was on fire.”
Ellen Call then dialed 911.
“When I saw how close it was to the house, I was so worried,” she said. “I just panicked when I saw the big flames.”
According to the car owner, the front right tire burst and glass shattered as the flames reached the top of the windshield.
There were no warning lights or indications that the vehicle was overheating, she said.
The vehicle sustained heavy damage, but there were no injuries.
Five fire trucks and 18 firefighters responded, Brown said.
The last crew left the scene at 1:13 p.m.