Special to The Hays Daily News
The Kansas Department of Wildlife, Parks and Tourism will conduct open houses from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday at all of its state parks. Admission to the parks is free.
During the day, there will be a statewide drawing for a free night's stay at a state park or public lands cabin of their choice.
The Kansas Lottery also has donated prizes to be given away in drawings at each of the parks. Prize include a tent, sleeping bags chairs and a coupon that can be redeemed for $20 worth of Kansas Lottery tickets.
Visitors also will be able to purchase lower-priced off-season park permits, Prices return to normal starting Sunday.
Individual parks will have special events.
Northwest Kansas parks and the events scheduled are:
*Wilson -- Elm Ridge Cabin open for tours 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., Kansas bike clubs and public trail rides.
* Cedar Bluff -- free hot dog feed and refreshments sponsored by Cedar Bluff friends group Die Hards from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., all cabins available for tours from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., park and new development tours throughout the day on request.
* Glen Elder -- coffee and doughnuts 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., Tahoe Cabin open for tours from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., park photo contest at 10 a.m. (entries from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.).
*Prairie Dog -- refreshments sponsored by Friends of Prairie Dog State Park, Eagle View Cabin and Cedar Crest Cabin open 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., Hillman School tour at 4 p.m.
* Scott -- punch and cookies sponsored by Lake Scott Friends Group, Taos Cabin open by appointment.
* Webster -- "Cookies by Jana," Blue-wing Bungalow open 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., Webster State Park/Stockton Recreation Fun Walk/Run from 10 a.m. to 11 a.m. at Old Marina Campground.
* Kanopolis -- Wyatt Earp Cabin open for tours 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., guided trail hike from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. at Horsethief Canyon, tour of Mushroom Rock from 3 p.m. to 4 p.m.