DODGE CITY ó The first inning loomed large in each of the Hays Sr. Eagles games on the opening day of the Dodge City tournament Friday in Dodge City.

The Eagles (7-3) led 9-0 after the first inning of their opener against Larned and went on to win 13-0 in four innings. In the second game of the day, a 12-9 loss to Butler County, the Eagles trailed 7-1 after the first inning.

After Brett Herrman retired Larned in order to open the day, the Eagles scored seven runs before recording an out in the bottom half.

Ryan Ruder, Cole Schumacher and Ricky Hockett reached to load the bases before Marcus Altman brought Ruder in on a single to left. Jared Haynes brought in Schumacher, Hockett and Haynes, making it 4-0.

Haynes then scored during Herrmanís at-bat before he earned a walk to load the bases. Another walk made it 6-0 followed by Ruderís second single of the first inning brought home the seventh run.

Larned got an out but allowed another run on a sacrifice fly from Schumacher that scored Jace Armstrong.

Hockettís second hit of the inning brought in the ninth run of the opening frame, which was more than enough of a cushion for Herrman.

The Eaglesí starter allowed a double to start the second, but retired the next three batters to preserve the shutout. It wound up being Larnedís only hit of the contest.

Hays failed to score in the bottom of the second but got the offense going again after another three-up, three-down frame from Herrman in the top of the third.

Schumacher singled home Harman for the 10th run before Ruder scored during Hockettís third at-bat of the game.

A two-run single from Stout capped the scoring at 13-0.

Herrman returned to the mound for the fourth and worked around a three consecutive walks to open the inning and extended the teamís winning streak to seven games. He struck out out three batters in four innings of work.

Ruder, Hockett and Stout each had two-hit outings in the tournament opener, while Haynes led the team with three RBI.

That streak ended later in the day behind Butler Countyís seven-run first inning.

Stout got the ball in the second game of the day and struck out the first batter he saw. A double and two walks loaded the bases soon after, however.

Five consecutive singles followed, giving Butler a 6-0 lead. Stoutís second strikeout of the inning broke up the streak, but Butler went on to add another run on its seventh hit of the opening inning.

Altman got a run back in the bottom half with an RBI single that scored Ruder from second.

Stout settled in and tossed a scoreless frame in the second inning, which helped the Eagles get back in the game.

Herrman scored on a fielderís choice before a third run scored on a single off Ruderís bat. Back-to-back doubles from Schumacher and Hockett made it 7-5. Haysí two-out rally continued on Altmanís single to left that scored Hockett to bring the Eagles within a run.

Stout kept Butler off the board in consecutive innings, and Hays tied the game at seven after Harman scored on a Schumacher single in the bottom of the fourth.

However, Butler quickly regained the lead on a triple and RBI groundout in the fifth. Stout finished the inning to end his day. He allowed nine runs on 11 hits with four strikeouts and three walks.

Hockett came on for the sixth and allowed Butler to extend its lead to three runs. The future Kansas Wesleyan Coyote got the run back with a double in the bottom of the sixth to make it 10-8.

Ruder handled the seventh and gave up two more runs to make it 12-8 as the Monarchs came to the plate for the last time.

Hays used an error to bring one run across, but saw the game end on a groundout off Altmanís bat.

Altman, Hockett and Schumacher each plated two runs in the loss, while Altman led the team with three hits. Butler County outhit Hays 15-10 in the game.

The Eagles were scheduled to continue tournament play Saturday.