TOPEKA — In light of recent Oklahoma earthquakes, Ken Selzer, CPA, Kansas commissioner of insurance, reminds that the Kansas Insurance Department can assist homeowners in answering questions about earthquake insurance coverage.

The insurance department’s Consumer Assistance Hotline, (800) 432-2484, is staffed by representatives who can assist consumers. Additionally, the department’s online chat feature, available on the department’s home page,, allows consumers a live chat with a representative from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday.

Earthquake insurance coverage in Kansas requires a separate policy or endorsement to regular homeowners’ insurance policy, according to Selzer.