PRATT -- The Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks has announced that conservation organizations need to apply for commission big-game permits soon if they hope to take advantage of this fund-raising tool. Commission big-game permits are available for qualified conservation organizations, but as of Dec. 15, few of the organizations that normally apply for them have done so.

The permits are available only to local chapters of nonprofit organizations based or operating in Kansas that actively promote conservation and the hunting and fishing heritage. Applications must be submitted no later than Jan. 4, 2010. Winners will be drawn at the next meeting of the Kansas Wildlife and Parks Commission, scheduled for Jan. 7 at Cheyenne Bottoms Visitors Center near Great Bend.

Commission permits were authorized by the Legislature in 2005.

Information and applications are available fby calling (620) 672-5911, or online at the KDWP Web site, Click "Other Services/Publications/Hunting," then "2010 Commission Big Game Permit Application."