“Art in Action” could be the theme of the 2016 Summer Art Walk on Friday.
With 26 exhibitions and performances in 18 venues, it also is one of the largest summer artwalks the Hays Arts Council has ever had, director Brenda Meder said.
“This is an amazing summer artwalk,” Meder said. “There’s some really cool facets of this artwalk. There’s an iron pour; that’s art while it’s happening.”
The iron pour, by Tobias Flores and Lance Wadlow, will be in the alley between 10th and 11th streets just off Main Street.
Drew Ukens also will display his illustrated rug designs in the alley.
“He works for a carpet business locally. He had this idea about airbrushing onto pieces of carpet,” Meder said. “He’s got some big things that will be on display, but he’ll also be doing it during the artwalk.”
In addition, Salon Ten-O-Seven will feature a clay-throwing demonstration in front of the store with the opportunity for art walk patrons to try their hands at it.
The salon also will display Outdoor Metal Garden by Lana Johnson, and the Ladies of the Old Time String Band will perform.
Union Pacific Park, 10th and Main, will be the site for a community acoustic jam session.
Several artists new to the art walk will display their works as well, including Chelsey Gotchall with ceramics and Carolyn Popp with barb-wire designs at the Blue Heron, a boutique opening for business Saturday at 1013 Main.
Several locations will have extended hours. Sternberg Museum of Natural History, 3000 Sternberg Drive, will show the ocean-themed artwork of Stanley Meltzoff from 3 to 6 p.m. Chestnut Street Kitchens, 1310 Main, will show photography by Kelsey Stremel and watercolors by the Mom’s Club from 5:30 to 8:30 p.m.
Gella’s Diner & Lb. Brewing, 117 E. 11th, will provide a wrap-up for the evening with jazz by Luke Johnson and Brad Dawson from 9 to 11 p.m.
A complete list of exhibits for the summer art walk follows.
2016 Hays Arts Council Summer Art Walk
6:30 to 9:30 p.m., Friday
• Hays Arts Center, 112 E. 11th, “Creative Obsessions,” exhibitions by Kevin Lundy & Robert Joy
• Hays Public Library, 1205 Main, Paintings by Ralph Sparks
• L&M, 113 W. 11th, “Living Art of Bonsai” by Jorge Vazquez
• Madd Matter Frame Shop & Gallery, 112 E. 11th, Small Works by John C. Thorns, Jr.
• The Blue Heron, 1013 Main, Ceramics by Chelsey Gotchall & Barb Wire Designs by Carolyn Popp
• Hays Arts Center Annex, 1010 Main, FHSU Summer Monotype workshop under the direction of Gordon Sherma, Jewelry Designs by Joyce Jilg
• Summer Youth Photography Class, Instructor Jennifer Younger, Paintings & Photographs by Bruce Burkholder
• Salon 1007, 1007 Main, “Outdoor Metal Garden” by Lana Johnso, Clay Throwing Demonstrations & Mini Lessons, Music by The Ladies of the Old Time String Band
• Art Walk Gallery, 1008 Main, Ellis County Sesquicentennial Pictorial Celebration
• Art in the Alley, Main between 10th & 11th, Illustrated Rug Designs by Drew Ukens, Iron Pour with Tobias Flores & Lance Wadlow
• Matthew Miller’s Buffalo House, 10th & Main, Works by “Visage Art Tribe”
• Union Pacific Park, 10th & Main, Community Acoustic Jam Session (open to all!)
• Paint the Towne, 810 Main, Paintings & Mixed Media by Cindy Balthazor
• Diamond R Jewelry, 807 Main, “Featuring Funny Fish” by James Mages
• Ellis County Historical Society, 100 W. 7th, “Art & Artifacts” from the ECHS Member Collections
• Moss Thorns Gallery, FHSU Rarick Hall, Kate Fox MFA Ceramics Thesis Exhibition
Early or Extended Hours Friday
• Sternberg Museum, 3-6 p.m., 3000 Sternberg Dr., “Lure of the Ocean: The Art of Stanley Meltzoff”
• Chestnut Street Kitchens, 5:30-8:30 p.m., 1310 Main, Works by Kelsey Stremel, Stremel Photography, “Mommy & Me” watercolor display by Mom’s Club
• Gella’s Diner & Lb. Brewing, 9-11 p.m., 117 E. 11th, Live Jazz by Luke Johnson & Brad Dawson